Friday, June 14, 2013

10 Reasons To Live in a Yurt You Never Thought of Before!




1.  The wind rustling the roof.  That doesn't happen in brick and wood homes.  It sounds so lovely and makes me feel like I'm closer to nature.


2.  You know that cacophony of sounds at night when you go camping?  Remember how it's so beautiful and magical and remember how annoying it is when it keeps you awake all night?  Yeah, that sound happens in a yurt, but if you live there full-time, you get used to it and sleep like a baby.


3.  The magical sound freaky echo thing when you stand in the middle.



4.  The owls at night.  How did I ever live without the sound of the owls at night?

5.  Feeling like you are living in "shelter" rather than a more formal indoor space.  We feel like we live outdoors, except we're protected from the elements.



6.  The drama and excitement when tornadoes are possible.  Yeah, this is probably technically a downside, but we have friends in town and we are careful.  A storm shelter is also in the works.


7.  We automatically have an interesting conversation opener at parties.  "I live in a yurt" is definitely an unusual ice-breaker for this part of the country.


8.  Our living space is so modest that we don't feel bad about paying a little more for a particular tile or rug or fixture.  There aren't that many to have to buy, so why not make it good?


9.  More conversation as a family.  It's easy to see right where everybody is, so there's more interaction.  The teenager does have a private yurt loft, thank goodness, but the family closeness is
nice.


10.  Automatic green-living brownie points.  If you live in a yurt, you are saving so much in energy and materials that you sort of have a surplus of greenie points.  We used ours to buy a Toyota Tundra, which we would have felt way too guilty to buy if we weren't yurt dwellers!

Happy Yurting!

4 comments:

  1. How did I not know this about you! I've never heard of a yurt. Very cool. I'm all for tiny spaces with jewel box insides:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've finally decided this is my future. Im looking at land now that's big enough for my horses, and fowl. I have to replant everything which is a huge downside but it's fun. I want a very simple living situation but I also need a barn. Biggest thing is my small budget. The yurt is so appealing since I'm by myself.

    ReplyDelete