Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Some links, pics, and thoughts





I thought I'd do a quick post listing some various links we've been looking at about yurts and yurt-like homes. Uncles and grandpas and neighbors are all doing their own research about yurts and coming up with new links and new ideas for our home. We've got a lot to decide! The pics above are a wooden yurt and a modern traditional yurt. I'll do more pics later!


Here's a basic yurt company we began looking at:

Colorado Yurts

Here's the wooden yurt company we're considering:

Smiling Woods Yurts


Besides the full kits they have, they also sell kits with roofs only. We could build our own traditional yurt walls, or we could even do even do circular straw bale or cob walls! The roof kit is only about $9000.

Here's an interesting company my uncle sent me:

Greywater Homes


Terribly cool, I thought!

And finally, a link my father-in-law sent us to a geodesic dome homes:

Dome Homes


I don't like the looks of the domes for a house, but I think they'd make a great greenhouse!

Now, we just have to figure which of all these possibilities will cost the least, get done the soonest, give us the least headache, and be the most beautiful and livable. Thought? Votes?

5 comments:

  1. I'm still working out the basic mechanics of a yurt. To be honest, til you I'd never heart of a yurt... well, that's half-true. Nicholas said something once about yogurt and misspoke.

    How large do you want yours to be? Are there no private spaces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the pix of the yurts in lots of snow are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can choose how to creat private spaces within a yurt. We are creating two bedrooms and a bathroom underneath the loft which will be my oldest daughter's bedroom. The basic yurt is open, but people do whatever they want to do inside! And we're building a big one! 30-35 feet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read a lot about yurts. I seriously am fascinated with them.

    Becky Kemery's book on yurts gets into the pros/cons of the two types, so if you don't have it, it might be worth trying to ILL a copy. Worst case scenario, let me know, and I'll send you mine. At any rate, there are a few stories about people living in the fabric yurts in places like Alaska for long periods of time. That said, one of the biggest "dangers" to the integrity of the architectural fabrics used to make yurts is mildew: possibly a larger problem in Arkansas than Alaska. That said, there's a state park (?) Between Arkadelphia and Hot Springs (?) that has yurts. The folks there might have some info about how they fare in the Arkansas environment.

    I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but it made my yurt obsession seem suddenly useful. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be cool to have a yurt house. Wonder eat eat codes Aabama have for the. A great shed in back yard.

    ReplyDelete